Monday 29 March 2010

Pride or danger?

I'm not sure if I'm any good on commenting on the news and the terrible things that are going on around us in the world today. Of course I have my opinions and views but I don't know how confident I feel sharing them, I'm not my big brother, he always seems to get it right when he speaks of these things. (I'll add the link for his blog, it's really worth a read)

So please forgive me if I don't talk about the following in a political or so called correct way, but the news today of the suicide bombers on the Moscow Metro caused me to think of something that happened just before the school closed for half term. We were discussing the different moves in dance that could be used to represent war. Of course we had the usual responses from the boys of how you can use you hands, point your fingers and pretend you've got a gun. Valiantly the teacher carried on, trying to explain that there's more to war than the guns, there are the children that become embroiled in it, the women that will do anything for what they believe is expected of them. To emphasise her point, she showed some pictures of war, children with guns, women starving, men with explosives strapped to their bodies. 

The teacher asked the children what these images did to their emotions, very quickly a young lad from Afghanistan put his hand up and said, "Some people believe it's a good and honourable thing to die for their country" I was a little shocked that words like this could come from an 11 year old boys mouth, a sign we're told to look out for, potential threats to the safety and security of our society. Then, after having had the time to digest it, I realised that he's no more a threat to me and my country than my son is to his. Master Musical is hoping to join the Navy and is very proud to tell all, as we're equally proud of him. Of course his intentions may not be to kill people, but they will be to protect his home, family and country from all those that oppose us. Will I go running to the authorities about him? No, just as I won't about that little boy.

He lives here because it's too dangerous for him in his homeland and he can't help or truly understand what he's been taught yet, but maybe after he's grown up here he'll think twice about how he puts his life on the line for those he loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment