Wednesday 24 March 2010

Forgetfulness

As I was going up the stairs for the third time and trying to remember the reason why today, I began to wonder if this whole memory loss as you get older, really is confined to old age.

I'm not going to go in to the realms of dementia as that's something that should not be spoken of lightly, apart from fond stories of loved ones that we have permission to re-tell. At this point I'm thinking of Mr Grumpy's grandma and how along with her memory she also lost her hearing. What a lovely, little old lady she was and always made us laugh, whether it was when she was being helped out of the bath and shouted for her helpers to take care as they were "splitting her splitter" or the time when she declared she may as well stick her hearing aid up her bum for all the use it was.

I digress... So why is it that for years I've been trying to put the kettle in the fridge, or my car keys in the bin? As I was coming down the stairs for the fourth time I also recalled the time I couldn't find my purse, of course I panicked, someone must have stolen it, or maybe I lost it while I was out? No, of course it was neither of these, it was tucked safely in the fruit bowl with the bananas, why didn't I look there first?

This is nothing new, I've been doing it for years and even though I'm getting on a bit now, I still know that the milk lives in the fridge, so why oh why did I put it in the cereal cupboard? I think the answer to all of this must be put down to the hectic lifestyles we lead, I say we because I know I'm not alone, in fact I bet you've done it too, haven't you? Does this mean then we need to take extra care? Are we being watched by small people ready to ship us off to some home somewhere? I wondered why Master Grumpy was recording my every move... 

So as I ascend the stairs to.... now, why am I going up here again?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment