Tuesday 6 October 2009

Career Paths

Another day, another dollar, or in my case, a few more pounds. It has finally dawned on me that most of my life has actually been about sales. I started out in the medical field in the armed forces, but I’m guessing that at the tender age of 15 I must have sold myself, which is why the RAF took a risk and employed me. I loved my role in the Air Force and really appreciated the training they gave me, but sadly medicine was not the role in life for me.
Upon leaving the RAF, I found myself working for various different companies, but ultimately ended up in sales. Ironically I was selling medical supplies.

 
Now, I was never a great believer in having a vocation and I’m still not sure I do, but, I am being drawn in to the world of education... I hated school, though maybe it was more about being bullied, thanks Geraldine Pearce, than it was about school itself. Most of my teachers were amazing, hope he’s reading tonight, Ben, but others were Mr Giles, RIP, Mr Haines, RIP, Mrs Purllant, and oh my goodness, what was Hartley Hare’s real name???? Sorry Sir.
So here I am as a grown woman with two teenage sons, both are very bright and have very different interests, but guess what I think they’re going to end up doing as their realistic career??? One will be a Geography teacher, the other a primary or PE teacher. What have I done? Where has this teaching urge come from? Know what? I should ask myself the same question, because after just working with my lovely SEN kids for such a short space of time, I find myself wanting to defy all odds, go further in to extra education and think that maybe one day I’ll be good enough to teach! I don't have a great deal of confidence in myself though maybe I should.

I have some amazing friends who also happen to be teachers, you know who you are, but most of all my sister in law Jill inspires me the most, I won’t embarrass her on here with the reason why, and no Drew, it’s not just about the degree. Thanks for your support and help and who knows, we might just make a difference!




No comments:

Post a Comment