Wednesday 23 September 2009

Terrifying travels

Today Ms Womble and I really went for it, well, I did, I get the feeling that she's probably fitter than me, she's also younger. But today, we ran more than we ever have, and the best result was that my pedometer told me I'd burned off over 400 calories, bring on the Feast lollipop! 

There wasn't anything very exciting happening in the countryside today, apart from us that is. I did become a little distressed when we spotted a lone cygnet, that appeared to be lost and sad. Something in it's eyes I guess, or maybe I'm a little Dr Dolittle. Ms Womble assured me that it would be fine and that there really wasn't any need to wade in to the river to fetch it out and take it home. Maybe she was just worried about her arm getting broken... Some distance further along the river, we found what we assumed were the rest of the family, sitting in the warm afternoon sun on the river bank. Now I really did get upset, as the cygnet we'd seen had been paddling frantically in the opposite direction, not sure if I'll be able to sleep tonight, might need to go on a search for it in the morning before work.

The whole episode of S.B.A.S (swan broken arm syndrome) has reminded me of something funny that happened while rambling in Lincolnshire at the weekend. It was the grown men that were advising us not to wear red as we would be passing through a field of young bullocks... mmm, hold that thought. Also, to be cautious in a couple of fields due to the very large horses, and finally the sheep.  The first critters we came across were the bullocks, very scary indeed, if you're a fly about to be swatted by their tails. We walked calmly across the field and they, calmly, watched us. Phew, escaped by the skin of our teeth! The second terrifying attack came from 3 enormous horses, 1 member of our group, an adult, actually requested to be surrounded by people in order to protect them. Imagine the fear when they realised that 2 horses were standing one side of the stile we needed to cross, and they were conversing with a rather large old cart horse on the other side. Surely, we wouldn't escape so luckily this time? Being the smallest, in height at least, I calmly walked up talking to these beautiful creatures who stepped aside to let us use the stile. Then with a firm but gentle hand on the shoulder of the cart horse simply asked him to back up, which he very kindly did. One more hurdle awaited, the sheep. There were millions of them, well, a hundred maybe? A sweat broke out on everyone's brow, we looked at each other and prepared our final goodbye's.

The sheep ran and the worst injury was heavy sheep dung collected on my nice pink and grey walking boots.

I'm glad I survived to share this ramble with you and hope that it goes down through the ages from my children, to my children's children and so on. Sleep safely all.

No comments:

Post a Comment