Sunday 4 April 2010

Pooh

I wasn't too sure what to call today's blog, I hope the title hasn't offended anyone, actually I don't care if it has.

So this morning I awoke with a stranger in bed beside me, well, not a complete stranger, but it was somewhat of a surprise to open my eyes and see Winnie the Pooh staring at me. I wonder how many 40 something women can say that this morning?

It would appear that as Mr grumpy has been struggling with a stiff neck and shoulders of late, he had decided to take a hot water bottle to bed to try and ease his tension. Enter Winnie the Pooh. We've had this hot water bottle and cover for nearly 14 years now, he has been a very loyal and most helpful bear, I can now see why Christopher Robin liked him so much.

I remember as if it were yesterday the day that I bought him and I also remember how much Mr Grumpy moaned when I told him the price, "twleve pounds??" he exclaimed. Well old man, I think that he has been more than worth every penny I paid, hell, even the shop I bought him from is no longer standing!

The reason I remember buying him so clearly is down to the other happy member in our household, Master Grumpy. A beautiful baby born almost 14 years ago, loved being held and of course rocked to sleep but as soon as his body touched the mattress of his moses basket or cot he was wide awake and screaming. We tried everything to get him to stay asleep and once he was he was like the proverbial baby, but the only mattress that seemed not to put a 3000 volt charge of electricity through him was the one on our bed.

It was at some point of tears, endless sleepless nights and tantrums, that was just me, that someone suggested a hot water bottle. Apparently it would warm his bed nicely so that when he was laid next to it, he would think it was still one of us holding him, well, it worked for puppies so why not Master Grumpy? Well, it didn't. Yes, he grew out of screaming all night and wanting to sleep in my bed, after 4 years and what did I have apart from very large bags under my eyes? A lovely Winnie the Pooh hot water bottle.

Thanks Pooh bear for seeing me through, tummy aches, sore backs, sore necks and shoulders and endless cold nights. You're worth every penny to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment