Friday 2 April 2010

Pardon?

I haven't actually made it outside of the house today, so I feel that this fact may be reflected in tonight's blog. Honestly, I know for a fact it will as the only contact with the outside world I have had has been via the phone. Nothing very interesting in that you might think and ordinarily I would agree. That is unless I know you've had contact with some of the Grumpy In Laws.

I don't want to come across as mean or uncaring towards those with hearing difficulties, but oh my god how hard can a telephone conversation be? Well in the case of these people, very. Oh and before any of the Grumpies start moaning, yes, this applies to my mother too.

I'm not too demanding when it comes to the odd chat on the phone, maybe just that if I say something you can acknowledge you've heard by making an appropriate sound or giving a relevant answer. Or how about that when I say something and you do make a sound that implies you've heard or understood you don't then go on to ask me a question which relates directly to the very thing I've just been chatting to you about! Surely that's not much to ask? 

The only other thing that makes these hearing challenged people more frustrating is when they not only can't hear what you've said, they also seem unable to remember any of the things discussed recently, say in the last 2 weeks or so! So I find myself saying, "yes, you told me" at least half a dozen times, but know what? They can't hear that either so I still get the whole bloody story again!

Yes, yes, I know, I'll be old one day too, just don't phone me and I won't phone you.

No comments:

Post a Comment