Monday 24 August 2009

Theme Park Thoughts

Well firstly I would like to apologise for not writing anything for the last 2 days. I sat and had typed virtually all of my ramblings on Saturday when the wonders of modern technology let me down and I lost everything. Oh what a happy soul I was. I decided to quit while I was ahead and left that walk as one that I may have to recall on a day when nothing occurs.

I also hope that you'll allow me the indulgence of writing today what actually occurred yesterday, as I had a walk with a difference and now is the earliest that I have been able to sit and write my findings.

Yesterday's ramble was actually less ramble more queueing, as I had the pleasure of spending the day at Thorpe Park in Surrey. Did I say pleasure? Oh it was alright I guess, if you like standing around in the baking sun, waiting to go on a ride that's going to send you from 0 to 80mph in 2 seconds, take you over 200 feet skywards just to plunge you back to earth, well most of you, I think you may leave your stomach somewhere mid air, let's face it, you've already left your senses at the gate!

After a very early start we arrived with the masses just after the gates opened, where we were fed through a queueing contraflow, I think that this process is in place to acclimatise you for the rest of the day. In attendance for this trip were, myself, Mr Grumpy, my youngest son, who was very tired so should be referred to as Master Grumpy and his BFF Beth. For those of you that aren't down with the kids of today, BFF, stands for Best Friends Forever. I would imagine that in future rambles these hip abbreviations may arise so I will endeavour to compile a little list for you to refer to if needed.

So back to Beth, a lovely young lady who is a year old than Master Grumpy but as we all know how girls mature much earlier than boys, could pass for maybe 2 or 3 more. She had assured me that she's a real adrenaline junky and would get me onto every ride in the park. I wasn't convinced, I'd looked at the brochure and the website and saw no evidence of swings, slides or maybe at a push one of those old swinging conical climbing frames. Passing through the gates I realised my worst nightmare. I was in an enormous playground for small and big kids alike, that have no concept of fear or possibly feel so flip about life itself they don't worry about dying.

It was decided quickly, that we should head for the big ride furthest away in order to avoid the queues later. This proved to be rather shrewd thinking, as when we did return to this ride later we ended up waiting for a most enjoyable hour, detect the hint of sarcasm? Master Grumpy plopped himself down on a rock and said that's where he'd be on our return, unless someone kidnapped him, then we'd be sorry. I pointed out that with him being in the frame of mind he was that, 1) it would be the kidnappers that would be sorry and 2) they'd soon return him.

The ride wasn't too bad I suppose, I removed my loose clothing and bags, was quickly told to put my clothes back on, it's not that sort of theme park apparently, was thrown around for about 2 minutes and the "fun" was over. We returned to find that Master Grumpy was still sitting on his rock and didn't want to spend the rest of the day waiting for us while we went on all the rides, how boring.... 

The next ride was like an enormous swing, flying up to 75 feet high at over 50mph, actually topping 4g in force... oh goody. Master Grumpy looked at it and said that he'd give it a try, guess what? he loved it.  I hated it, I wanted it to stop, I needed to get off and cry. After a few moments in which to compose myself, somebody appeared to steal my son and replace him with a completely different boy, Master I love these rides let's find something bigger and faster to go on. Nice boy, think I'll keep him.

And so the day went on, most enjoyably, I was dragged from one ride to the next, thrown around the skies of Surrey, sometimes dry, sometimes wet, but always happy. 

I am now the proud mother of an adrenaline junky son, who is already planning his next trip to another theme park. Am I happy? I'm not sure, as I don't know how much will be expected of me next time, I love my life but I'm not so sure I want to live it quite so close to the edge. The excitement for me was watching them have fun and when I declined a third trip on the world's only 10 looping roller coaster, I had a most enjoyable time people watching.

I'm not sure there's an actual point to today's ramble, other than I guess my son and I both had preconceived ideas about what we'd like and what we wouldn't, but we both went in with different attitudes. We both came way though with the attitude that we should try something different from time to time, push ourselves just a little, who knows, we might even like it.

Right off to stick pins in my eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment