Monday 17 August 2009

Day 1 - An introduction

Well, after much thought and a short discussion with my big bruv, I have finally decided to bite the bullet and write my own Blog.
Now, for any readers of The View From The Hill, I can't promise that I'll be as funny, thought provoking or as clever as Drew, but I can promise that I will write only about what I know. Unless of course there's no chance of my untruths being found out, in which case I'll write what I like!

For those of you that know me well, and I'd hazard a guess that it isn't actually very many, you'll know that every day I embark on a most enjoyable power walk. Sometimes alone, sometimes with my friend Ms Suzie Womble, (story for another time) and sometimes with Mr Grumpy, but always for a minimum of 5 miles.
I would imagine that most people would think that around Peterborough that wouldn't be very exciting, but as I start to write my experiences down I hope to change your minds!
If however I do have a dull walk, I hope you'll allow me the grace of maybe throwing in some memories of walks gone by or just an anecdote from my past.
This mornings walk, though fairly uneventful, did start off with a lovely treat. As I left my home in the glorious sunshine, I looked skyward for an indication as to what weather I could expect. How wonderful then when I spotted a pair of Red Kites soaring above me, and yes, I mean the birds of prey not a piece of string with a small child on the end.
This in itself doesn't strike me as unusual, as I'm always looking around me, at nature, at people, at anything really, as it interests me. But I did wonder how many other people actually witnessed this fine sight? Because I have found wherever I am, people these days have a tendency to look only down towards the ground. I like to greet people I might meet with a cheery "Good Morning!" but find it increasingly difficult as they refuse to meet my line of sight.
Are they scared that I'm going to mug them? Do they perhaps think I might want to engage in some deep and meaningful conversation? Or maybe they worry I might be a drunken druggy about to ask for a light or some loose change.
It reminds me of when my family and I first moved to Peterborough back in 1980. My father, who has always been used to getting up at the crack of dawn, insert own joke here, got up on that first Sunday morning and walked to the local shop for his Sunday Express. On his return he was most upset, as he had met people on his journey, greeted them with a "Good Morning" only to be looked at like a lunatic that had escaped from the local asylum! Peterborough back then, was an overflow town for people wanting to escape London and so of course they weren't used to exchanging pleasantries on the street. Everyone you met had the potential to be some sort of extreme personality, and not, like my father, a gentleman from the country with impeccable manners.

That memory has stayed with me and I think it's one of the reasons I try and make people say hello, or morning when I'm out, am I seeking revenge for my poor wronged father?
No, I tend think I'm a bit of a bugger that likes to wind people up. So if you see me walking your way and you don't want to talk, I suggest you cross the road quickly, although I may start crossing the road too just to be even more mischievous!

I hope that this hasn't been too boring for you, and that you'll stick with me to see if I have the ability to improve. I welcome any feedback but will of course only print the positive stuff.
Ali

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to sharing in more of your ramblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Took me a long time to notice this blog. Sorry, especially considering the title.

    ReplyDelete