Friday 21 August 2009

Gas

Once again I find myself sans walk.
This is due to more than one reason and hence may make this blog not only late in the day but a little serious, mmm, let's wait and see.

Yesterday proved to be a most annoying day, mainly because one of the lovely men building the new Stanground bypass managed to cut through the main gas supply to the estate where I live. The smell was horrendous, the house reeked of gas and within a very short space of time my youngest sons eyes were quite red and sore. I guess he didn't help the situation by insisting on riding around outside on his BMX to see what was going on. He came back from his travels and said that he'd spoken to one of the gas engineers and it looked likely that we'd have to be evacuated, great.
Oh well, I checked the hob and we still had gas so wasn't unduly worried. The day went on, as did we, when at about 2pm I noticed the national grid engineers reading our meters... I became a little suspicious. On checking my hob, I found that the gas was no longer on, this not only meant no bolognese for tea, it meant no hot water. Getting crosser now.
So, after a trip to the chippy for the rest of my clan and a zap in the microwave for my tea, all was well with the world. Much later in the evening I received a text from Ms Womble to say that she'd flirted outrageously with the gas engineers and now had gas being pumped into her house. I, on the other hand didn't, on either front, and I am a little disappointed she didn't mention my street name and house number.
Naturally when I awoke this morning I stupidly assumed my gas would be back in its rightful place, but no, no hob and no hot water. I thought about raiding my dusty drawer for my suspenders in the vain hope of seducing some poor chappy, when I came to my senses and realised that the logical option was to go to my parent's house for a shower.
As I drove by the work site where this horrendous catastrophe had taken place, I actually shouted out of my car window that I hoped they'd all had a lovely home cooked meal last night and a nice hot shower.... my poor son cowered in the foot well.
I then had to be taught all over again by mother how to use a shower. Somewhere between having a shower yesterday morning and this morning I had obviously lost all my senses and needed to be shown which cord to pull, which button to press and which dial to turn.

I have moaned, cursed, shouted and generally hated life because of no gas until this afternoon.

A young 13 year old boy that lives just down the street had a major seizure outside my house, which caused him to fall off his bike and for some time left him fitting and bleeding in the road. Myself and a very kind and well trained passer by helped him until the ambulance arrived. I have some medical experience and also have a current first aid certificate, but in all my years have never seen a fit of this seriousness. Without going into horrible details, it was a most disturbing sight and something that I hope he recovers from. He is still in hospital at the time of writing this.

It put things into perspective for me today, no gas for cooking or hot water? Big deal.
No gas for breathing? Bigger deal.

I don't intend my blogs being all serious and philosophical, but sometimes we just need to get our priorities in order.
I hope to resume normal ramblings tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I see you are hooked on blogging and are finding it as cathartic as I do. We all become philosophers as we get older, but remember with each nugget of wisdom we hand out we should always have the health warning...may contain nuts.

    ReplyDelete