Monday 31 August 2009

Musical Meandering

Today I borrowed my eldest son's music machine to accompany my walk. I have a very broad spectrum and taste when it comes to music and will not easily dismiss anything without first having a listen. To be utterly and completely honest, I love music, I always have. I love singing, though Mr Grumpy doesn't enjoy my singing as much as I do, but still I sing. I wouldn't say I am good at singing but surely that shouldn't stop me, I'm clever enough to know I shouldn't stand and sing in front of people like Simon Cowell, who I actually think knows what he's talking about, hence the reason he's a millionaire!

Since I was a small person, singing  and music has surrounded me. I have spoken before about how I listened to Radio 2 and enjoyed the musical choices of Terry Wogan, Pete Murray and Jimmy Young. I loved hearing all those oldies as we would now call them, but I also find that the songs from the 80's are now classed as oldies by my teenage sons. I also used to enjoy singing in the Citadel of the Salvation Army and when my brothers lost interest I joined our local church.

It mattered not to me what I was listening to or what I was singing, it made me happy. I just enjoyed the music and for that I'm thankful, it means that I now have the most diverse music collection ever! As I have grown, my taste has changed and so I find myself with a collection of vinyl and CD's that range from Northern Soul, musicals, RnB, pop, soft rock through to my current favourite thrash metal. This latest musical taste is in main due to my eldest son's doing. He plays guitar and learns mainly heavy metal music, his passion, yes I'm his Mum and I'm biased but he is good and really loves it, so in turn I now have fallen in love with some good rock and roll music.

Somehow, I seem to have an uncanny ability to memorise lyrics, lovely when the radio's on and I'm singing but most annoying for Mr Grumpy when he says a sentence and I can almost immediately pick that sentence from a song and sing it! Oh if only my maths O level had been in song lyrics....

So as I find myself surrounded these days by long haired, head banging, body moshing young men I wonder what the 80's me would have thought. Well, I guess that because in the 80's I was still looking for love, I wouldn't have taken too much notice, I would've been matching every song to my personal circumstance. Where as now with the maturity of age I have learned to just enjoy music for what it is. It matters not what it's genre is, who's singing it or whether they're the latest, biggest, hot thing, I like what I like and will continue to do so. 

So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment