Friday 28 August 2009

Driving Dawdle

Today I am hoping that you won't mind if I write a little about how I'm thinking without the added walking. It can be quite tiring you know, especially as I have also started to incorporate a bit of running.
Today has been a busy day for me and one that has involved rather a lot of driving, only short distances but driving none the less. I was clever enough to pass my driving test first time twenty years ago. I had initial lessons with my Dad, followed by the usual 300 lessons from a local driving school, OK, maybe not quite that many, but of course while I was paying for lessons they were happy to keep taking my money. Unlike many learners, I actually learned to drive in a Volkswagen Caravanette, so a large, long and quite heavy vehicle but actually had quite good va va voom!

Since passing my test, I have made it my job to be a good, careful and responsible driver, even when I was a sales rep', haring from one city to another. I have been stopped for speeding only once, to which I fully held up my hands, and as for accidents, well, let's not tempt fate shall we?
So, here I am, 41 and a regular and considerate driver. I flash other drivers out of junctions when it's safe to do so, though Mr Grumpy says he thinks I've misunderstood about the whole flashing concept.... not had any complaints so far. I always stick to the speed limit on local roads, sorry, can't include the local parkways, I indicate even when there are no other vehicles around and always keep a safe braking distance between me and the vehicle in front.
Why oh why can't other drivers do the same? I'm not asking much, I know when you pass your test the standard line from your instructor is “now go away and learn to drive properly” But when they hear that do these other drivers hear “ Go and drive like selfish lunatics” ????

It seems that other drivers seem to have no spacial awareness, a gap that you could quite easily fit a family sized car through suddenly only seems the right size for a double decker bus. Or when I'm driving along a main carriageway I suddenly seem to don my invisibility cloak and no other driver can see me, well, actually just that one numpty that thinks he's got time to pull out in front of me causing some braking on my part. Oh and let's not forget those people that don't realise that when you join the main carriageway from a slip road it's them that need to give way. Although a special mention should be given here to the prize idiots that brake on the main road in order to allow them to join!
There are also the people that we have to call pedestrians, shall we call them non-drivers? Oh look, I'm going to walk out in front of you because I know you won't run me over, if only they were on the inside of my car, they'd hear my passengers screaming, “please don't run him over, we know you're right”
It's not that I'm aggressive, just that I know the road. I had the old trick question in my driving test, if you're turning into a road and some one's crossing, who has the right of way? The correct answer is of course I do because I have a car and I'll run you over. The answer they want to hear is the person crossing because you're not going to run them over, are you?

I don't profess to be the world's greatest driver, I'm not saying I'm always right, though I usually am, but I take great comfort in the fact that my sons still think I'm a better driver than their Dad, well, it's statistically proven, women are better drivers than men.

Gosh I feel better getting that off my chest, happy driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment