Tuesday 17 August 2010

Sam's birthday

I decided to Blog today in honour of Master Musical's 18th birthday. Just like that morning 18 years ago, I was wide awake at 6am this morning but in a lot less pain! I'm sure the re-telling of this story will make Sam smile, he's heard it so many times.... 

I remember that I actually went in to labour with Sam on the Sunday evening as he was born on a very hot and sunny Monday. I had been round at the outlaws with Mr Grumpy for Sunday tea, it was a law that we had to abide by in those days. We sat watching an old episode of Morecambe and Wise when I felt decidedly uncomfortable, I wasn't sure at first if it was the tuna sandwiches and tinned fruit or whether in fact the big moment had finally arrived.

Mr Grumpy decided that to be on the safe side, we'd pop to to the local spar to get some nappies before heading home. By 10pm I was in agony and was sure the baby was going to arrive at any second, so after a quick call to the hospital, we jumped, well, I waddled, in to the car and were off. Imagine my surprise and disbelief when the midwife had a quick poke around and announced I was 2cm dilated. For those of you not in the know, that's not what you want to hear when you're in agony and you know you need to hit 10cm's before the little sucker's gonna come out!

It was a very hot and very long night, that then progressed in to a very hot and very long morning. Sam decided that he actually quite liked it in my womb and was in no hurry to make his arrival in the world. The Doctor finally decided that some help was going to be needed and maybe extra pain relief for me, thank god and maybe a little suck down below.... he quickly explained that he meant a little suction machine to put on Sam's head to help him out, phew!

Finally at 13.07 on Monday 17th August 1992, Samuel Joseph Amos was born weighing in at 8lb 13.5oz, ouch, that really did split my splitter! 

I could go on about the grief I had over the next few days of him not eating, something he has since more than made up for, and about the drafting in of a 90 year old midwife who man handled my boobs to try and get him to feed. Apparently Doris had never failed to get a baby to latch on, ha ha, we beat her son! Anyway, I don't want to put you off your food for the rest of the day, say I'll just say,

Happy Birthday Sam, I love you and I'm very proud of you, I hope you have a brilliant birthday!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment