Wednesday 4 November 2009

Festive Folly

So here we are again, that magical time of the year where every where around us people are counting down. It’s only this many weeks till the Christmas lights go on, only so many weeks till we break up for the Christmas holidays, and every news readers favourite, only silly number of shopping days till Christmas.

Don’t get me wrong, I love all the celebrations and festivities, mainly the food and booze, but most importantly seeing my boys opening their presents. Of course as they’ve got older it has got a little less interesting, as all they really want now is money for something that they’re saving for. I know that’s a good thing, easy for us, but when you don’t feel the magic of baby jesus, you kind of look for that something special from those around you.

We’re also lucky that we have the odd kind of children that actually enjoy getting clothes, I’m sure my eldest brother and sister in law will back me up on this one. I remember one Christmas when Master Musical opened a lovely T shirt they’d given him, I think it was adorned with Bugs Bunny, and he actually looked in awe and said “wow!” Not sarcastically either. It’s also the one day of the year that for that first hour of the day, we can almost guarantee that Master Grumpy does not live up to his name, but it is really only about an hour, after that there’s usually something for him to moan about.

So, as it fast approaches I really am looking forward to the happy day being here, despite the worry of what to buy for who, ensuring Mr Grumpy gets all the cards written, wrapping all the presents and then off to Sainsburys for the shop of my life. Let’s not even mention getting up and starting cooking at some ridiculous hour on the big day, still, that’s helped along with a nice early morning sherry... 

Honestly, I do love it really, and those that know me really well know that I’ve already started to think about quoting my favourite saying of them all,
I’ve only got to go to bed and get up, go to bed and get up, go to bed and get up, go to bed and get up... you get the idea! It’s 51 by the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment