Thursday 11 October 2012

The mother of all Blogs

So here I am again, it's been a while, hooray! (I'm sure that's what some people are shouting, bored of my ramblings) Well it's just tough because I feel like letting one out and nothing can stop me.... as many of my poor, nearest and dearest will confirm.
Lots has happened since I last bent your lug holes and most of you will be aware of those things as you are a friend on that dreaded social networking site known as Facebook. Yes, I am one of those people that likes to share but as I have mentioned before, nearly all my friends on there are actual, real friends that I see or talk to, sadly not the ones I also dream of, like Kevin McCloud.... I did request him but I'm still waiting for him to accept.
So, what made me find the desire to to start tapping away? Well it was when I thought about this mother of all headaches and ear ache that I've had today. I wondered why on earth do we call something particularly bad, the mother of all.... ? It makes it sound like being a mother is a bad thing, a very big, bad thing, which for some I suppose it is, but generally isn't being a mother a good thing? Maybe it's the importance of being a mother, after all we don't say the father of all headaches, or the granny of all spots do we?
So then I started thinking about a little status an old school friend had written yesterday, "When do we stop worrying about our children?"
She got pretty much the same reply from everyone, which was, never. I know that every time I wave Sam off in his car, whether it's to work or to band practice, I worry about him until he gets home. The same applies for Max when he goes off to a party or on camping trip, he is at the front of my mind until he's safely back, cocooned in our home.
It's not that I don't trust them or their judgements but I think more that very selfishly, I can't imagine my life without them in it, corny I know, but so true.
We've had a particularly testing time this week as parents, not something that I can share on here, sorry, I know that it's annoying when people do that, but once again it has reminded me of my childhood and how things were maybe for my parents.
Both Mr Grumpy and I had a very hard time of it through secondary school, yes, the good times out weighed the bad, but the bad times were bloody awful. So that has given us a greater understanding of what it would be like should either of our precious boys suffer at the hands of others in their school life. I remember when Sam was at primary school and had come home to say a bigger lad was being pretty mean to him. The first thing we did was to ask to see his teacher to try and get to the bottom of the problem, the poor woman's face was a picture when I said, "It really needs sorting out, you have to understand that as a parent I am prepared to kill for my children" Yes, maybe a little over the top but then again was it?
Sam had a mixed school life, some very, very good friends and then some people that hung around that were complete tossers, thankfully he turned out to be a lovely, mature, kind gentleman that we're extremely proud of.
Max being more of a schmoozer and virtually horizontal in his attitude to life has sailed through school without barely a scratch, for which we are very thankful and of course, equally proud.
We always thought, heaven help the fool that is daft enough to pick on him, but of course we know bullies strike at any age.
 I know one lovely, soft natured man that ended up leaving a job that he had mostly loved, down to a bully in his workplace and it was a younger woman that did it. I think if his mother had known the full story she'd have ripped her throat out!
Anyway, my mother of all headaches has eased and I want to thank you for reading, if you did, if you didn't, I understand..... not sure my mother will though!

No comments:

Post a Comment