Monday 4 June 2012

Fear

I read an interesting post this morning, it said "Why is it at the darkest, quietest part of the night we think of the things we hardly give a moment to during the day? Burglars, monsters etc" It set me thinking about my own fears and why I have them.
I know that at this point some of you will want to go for the obvious one, reaching for my own version of Big Lou and finding that not only is he empty but so is the bottle and it was the last one on the rack. I actually do now have a wonderful cure for this fear, it's the fact that Mr Musical now drives his own car and is able to fetch replacements.
One of the obvious and probably most common fears I have is of spiders. I really don't know why, we all know that as enormous human beings we have the power to squash them, something that I would never do. No, if I'm alone I'll calmly catch the offending arachnid and deposit outside or if Mr Grumpy's here I'll scream in my best girly scream and get him to do the dastardly deed.
Another fear is also quite common among many, flying, or actually, not flying. Quite ironic considering I was in the RAF for a while when I left school and flew quite regularly without a second thought. I think this fear has come about since I have had my lovely boys, mortality sets in and the thought of leaving them motherless terrifies me. That and all the plane crashes I've seen on TV.....
My biggest fear however is drowning in a car, sounds bizarre doesn't it? I don't mean a random amount of water bottles exploding in my car with no means of escape for me, I'm talking about my car crashing in to a river and the electric windows failing, my arms and legs not strong enough to smash the glass and slowly, I drown. The thing is, I really can't understand where this irrational fear has come from, it's not like I've ever had a close shave with being in a car drowning incident, or even know anyone that has, but there it is.
Strangely, the thing I should be frightened of, thunder storms, I actually really love and find beautiful. The actions of both my mother and one of my Aunts as a child, should have scarred me forever!
I remember coming in from school during a very large storm and where we lived in the very flat Lincolnshire fens, storms were immense. I could insert a pun here about dry dykes and never being able to find one when you need one, but I won't. Anyway, I walked in the back door to find all the curtains shut, windows open, cutlery safely in the drawer and mirrors turned back to front, with my mum and Aunty hiding behind the sofa. Mum insisted she wasn't afraid, just looking after her sister, yeah right. Apparently the curtains, mirrors and cutlery thing was to prevent lightning striking and the windows were open to allow any fire ball that may get in, to get back out again safely. Of course, it all made such sense.
So, there you have it, I've worked it out, it's not what I'm afraid of that doesn't make sense, the fact that I'm a loony thanks to those two ladies is why I have such an unusual fear, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment