Saturday 24 September 2011

A Special Day

Well I'm back, I'm not sure for how long because to be honest I'm not convinced many people have time or the inclination to listen to my ramblings these days. However, in honour of a dear friend and a very special day ahead, I thought I would make the time to gabble to any of you that may be interested.

I have prewarned my friend that I may be writing about her today and she didn't object, so I'm hoping that she won't mind if I tell a few little bits of her past. I have known Kate since I moved to Peterborough at the age of eleven and we spent many happy times together as we wandered our way through secondary school.

There was quite a gang of us back then, though we seemed to chop and change who we hung around with, it was always within the same group. Kate was always the pretty and popular girl in our year at school, along with a couple of others, Vicki and Denyse. I was just a quiet, timid, little mouse that trailed around in their wake, oh how age has changed me! Most mornings I would walk to Kate's and we would then walk on to school together, the benefits of being friends with such a popular young girl were bountiful, not least all the good looking boys that wanted to be her boyfriend.

Kate had one fairly serious boyfriend during our latter school years and I for one was pretty certain that they'd end up being married, of course my naive way of thinking was proven to be wrong, though while she was with him I got to snog the face off his best mate, thanks Kate!
Of course we all had other boys that we would dream of being with but knew that they were just outside of our reach. One boy in particular was Andy, he was a bit of a lad, didn't attend our school full time, but when he did you could feel the passion oozing from all the girls, hoping that he may look at them and allow them some of his time.

All too soon, we reached the age of sixteen and as usually happens we drifted in our separate directions. Kate went of to college, Vicki was working for a travel company and getting to see the world and I went off in to the RAF. Over the years I would hear tales of what was happening in Kate's life and I would occasionally bump in to her on nights out in town. She hadn't changed, still as pretty as ever, but was now a mum to two lovely children but with a man that quite obviously didn't realise how lucky he was to have her.

More years passed and with the arrival of the wonderful Facebook, Kate and I managed to get back in touch and started meeting up for coffee. Much grass was chewed at these meets and on one particular occasion she told me that she's been dragged, kicking and screaming in to town with work colleagues on a grab a grandad night. As she'd stood surveying the sea of grey haired fellows, a certain man, considerably younger and more handsome than the others caught her eye. She knew she recognised him and from the way he looked at her, could tell he recognised her too. They started chatting to each other and guess who it was? Yes, it was the god like Adonis, Andy, from our youth, the one that all the girls wanted and here he was chatting to her!

Let's fast forward a couple of years and now find ourselves on a sunny Saturday in September. At last Kate has bagged her man, the man of all our childhood dreams and after forty something years today will no longer be Miss but will rightfully be called Mrs Ferris.

I'm also happy to say that again thanks to the powerful Facebook, Vicki is also back in our lives and tonight I look forward to updating the photos from our school leaver's disco, there was no such thing as a prom in England back then.

Good luck Kate and Andy, you both deserve to be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment