Sunday 19 June 2011

For my Dad

A Man

Successful? Yes, through honest work, not through some happy turn of fate.
Never has he been known to shirk since he attained to man's estate.
Approached each task with buoyant zest,
of all life's gifts deemed work the best.
But this alone does not portray the man that I would have you see.
A zest for work? I hear you say, is not a claim on sympathy.
So other virtues I'll outline which well describe this Dad of mine.
He has that questing type of mind that one associates with youth.
Towards fulsomeness he's deaf and blind, abhors a lie, respects the truth,
and honesty is part of him, as much a part as any limb.
Quite perfect then? Oh no indeed, did I not say he was a man?
But turn to him when you're in need and he will help you all he can.
A loyal, sincere and upright friend, whom one can trust right to the end.

1 comment:

  1. I like your dad, he's a lot like mine!

    Old(er) Sam

    ReplyDelete